Recall Wars

Got an email from 8Andy, “You guys got your asses whipped!” Got a facebook message from BB, “Are you blogging Citizens United?” Got a text message from Vinny Vegas, “Why didn’t Obama go to Wisconsin? Maybe he didn’t want to be tied to a loss.”

Nice to know I’m thought of when there’s a disruption in The Force. Nice to know I’ve become the Obi Wan Kenobi of politics. Nice to know the opposition is afraid of my skills as a Jedi Warrior.

“I’m watching Walker’s acceptance speech,” 8Andy went on to say. “He’s thanking the Lord. The crowd is going wild. Unfortunately, Greg, we’re enemies. Sad but true.”

It’s not at all sad. It’s only partly true. But mostly, it’s boring.

When someone has to name you as an enemy, they’re putting all their cards on the table. 8Andy could pretend he’s hiding in plain sight. But he doesn’t have the guts. Besides, when you’re hiding in plain sight, friendship is the tactic, not the disclosure. Sorry, 8Andy, when it comes to Scott Walker and The Koch Brothers, I feel a tugging at my heart to warn you, “These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.”

When the protests began, I went to Madison. The outrage was fresh, you could feel it reverberate through the rotunda in the capitol. I decided to take it a step further, driving-up to River Falls, Wisconsin, to knock on doors for Shelly Moore, in a local election where she was up against a political establishment figure named Sheila Harsdorf.

Now, I could pretend like I knew a lot about the local issues. But my Light Saber isn’t that sharp. Truth is, I was programmed to repeat a stupid message, like R2D2: “Help us, Obi Wan Kenobi. You’re our only hope.” I wanted to confront the minions of The Dark Lord.

I felt ready. How naïve!

On an unpaved road, somewhere in the backwoods of River Falls, I knocked on a screen door. The woman who stood behind the screen door asked where I was from. I told her I was from a universe far, far away, called Chicago. She asked if that was near the galaxy of Illinois. I told her it was. She laughed. I asked her to support Shelly Moore. She cut me off in the middle of my well-intended spiel to ask what the hell I was doing, meddling in her universe, especially when my galaxy had returned Rod Blagojevich to the Governor’s Death Star. I didn’t have an answer. She told me to go home.

I didn’t listen. How naïve!

Shelly Moore lost. Sheila Harsdorf won. There was another disruption in The Force. I couldn’t do anything about it. This time I knew, so I went home, defeated. But I learned an important lesson: don’t meddle in something that’s none of your damn business, Young Skywalker.

Maybe Scott Walker is an asshole. But it’s not against the law to be an asshole. Maybe Scott Walker didn’t disclose everything he was going to do when he became governor. But it’s not against the law to keep your cards close to your vest. In fact, it’s a winning tactic.

Scott Walker has broken no law. If he has, it’s for the courts to decide, not the media. Even if he’s brought up on charges, given due process and found guilty, it will be up to the people of Wisconsin, in the next election, to vote out their governor, which is something we didn’t do in Illinois. We re-elected Rod Blagojevich. We gave a second term to a crook whose most defining characteristics were his boundless love of attention, chronic potty-mouth and bad hair. Help us Obi Wan…

I remember being outraged about Union Bashing. I remember being outraged about the loss of Collective Bargaining Rights. I remember being outraged about President Obama not showing-up. I remember being outraged about the drumming circles in the rotunda being asked to stop soon after midnight.

I think I was in love with being outraged.

Turns out, I was wrong. Turns out, I was wrong about everything. But mostly, I was wrong about President Obama. He didn’t belong in Madison any more than I belonged in River Falls. This was a local issue. At the time, I convinced myself I was getting involved as an act of solidarity. But who was I kidding? I went for the pictures. Turns out, I’m a low-grade Ed Schultz, in other words, a wannabe media-whore with a blog who went to the protests in Madison looking for a photo-op.

It wasn’t The Force. It was The Farce. Which is the real name for Citizens United, since it was the decision of 5-Screwballs.

This entry was posted in Blind CC and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Recall Wars

Score 1 for the Koch Brothers. It will take many years and a death or 2 on the Supreme Court, which then will depend on a President with a true heart and love of “we the people” not a love of “$$$” to get this country back on track. And a complete mind set change that causes people like Andy to call opponents “enemies”. You guys aren’t old enough to remember when we were a country united. For example, folks voted for Adlai Stevenson for President, but when Eisenhower won he was the President of ALL the people. No one had an agenda from day 1 of his election to “see him defeated” in the next election. We wanted our country to succeed. Now when people talk about “the good old days”, they aren’t kidding!!!

2. ROY says:

I think it was easier to be rational about your desire for an opposition party candidate to succeed when the country was more one dimensional. Everyone knew their place. Women were like children, seen and not heard. Blacks were shamed by separate bathrooms and sitting in the back of the bus. Gays were in the closet, hiding their true selves. Now we’re becoming what we always were, diverse and accepting instead of one dimensional and cruel. But there is an anger in the population from the group who used to have all the control. Their current behavior lets you know what they always were, bullies.

Was this a fight about the issues of Wisconsin, or was it a fight about Big Money Special Interests buying any election they want? Was it a fight about austerity vs taxing the poor and paying for social programs? Or was it a fight about the working class standing up to big corporate “people?”

If it was the first, Obama and Greg should have stayed home. If it was the second, Obama and Greg belong in the fight.

One of the unexpected gifts of my life has been friendships with people who initially got in my face. On second glance, the confrontations revealed a common aggressiveness, which I relate to, and admire.

If you don’t go for it, again and again, whatever it is you’re going for, you’re never going to get it. No one makes it easy for you. In fact, the people who initially made it easy for me were the hardest to shed.

Dad once said to me, “Life’s not about making friends. It’s about getting rid of em.” Of course, he’s Brutally Frank, so there’s that. But he was trying to alert me to wake-up when I was being taken advantage of by hustlers masquerading as friends, in the early days of my life in New York.

Dad also said to me, “How can you take care of other people? When you can’t take care of yourself.” I’m still learning how to incorporate that piece of advice into my adult life.

At least my adversaries never ask for anything. They want to beat me down, as if getting back up scares me. They want to be right, all the time. Most of all, they want to kill me, when the rule of law falls apart, and another civil war breaks out, which is inevitable, if they keep pretending it’s possible to right about absolutely everything, all of the time.

But I have to say, if civil war breaks out, when civil war breaks out, I’m up to the battle. In fact, I look forward to putting down my schmooze and picking up an M16R2.

;-)

I grew up in a union home. Both parents in very strong unions. What happened Tuesday was the adults took the credit card away from the teenaged girl and said no more. WE CAN’T FUCKING AFFORD IT! So she threw a temper tantrum. But in the end it will be good for the workers and the state. Eventually what happens in a situation like Wisconsin is a governor wanting to hold on to power borrows the money pays off the union’s ridiculous demands and kicks the can down the road 10-15 years. Then in 10-15 years the fucking hammer comes down and someone has to take an ax to the budget and saw off %20 of the public work force. In the end Walker winning is good for the workers and Wisconsin. They may take a 9% pay cut (actually paying more into their benefits) but they’ll keep their already way above industry pay and benefits. I think many of the sane union households realized this since 40% voted for Walker.

Barbara and the Lawya if I hear one more thing about the Koch brothers from you or any of the lefties I’m going to explode. The Kochs are worth $20 billion or so.

Left Wing Billioniares who actively contribute to left wing satanic causes:

George Soros
    Steven Spielberg
    Jeffery Katenzburg
    Steven Geffen
    Ben and Jerry Ice Cream Assholes
    Pritzner Hotel Asshole family

AND ON AND ON AND ON. I could go on for days. And stop the bitching about Fox and Rupert we have one channel you have PBS NBC ABC CBS CNN MSLGBT MTV VH1 and just about every other print/magazine publication.

• Penny says:

We can afford it. Or should I say, “WE CAN AFFORD IT.” Why do you guys have to yell? Do you think loud voices or big letters make your argument stronger?

One of the first things Scott Walker did, when he became Governor Walker, was cut taxes, to create the deficit. Then he used the phony deficit to make the case for gutting union wages. There are better things to do with your time in the governor’s mansion than make it even more difficult for working people to make a little bit of money and take care of themselves.

By the way, you exploded a long time ago, Andy. I hardly think talking about the Koch Brothers will be the thing that is responsible for pushing you over the edge. They happen to be incredibly rich. But they also happen to be incredibly mean-spirited.

Personally, I think Citizens United would be a great ruling, if we let The Rich spend themselves into bankruptcy. But we all know, the second The Rich run out of money, from funding all these elections, their buddies will find a new, clever way to pass them a bundle of cash.

First it was TARP. Then it was BAILOUTS. Next it’ll be FREEDOM LOANS.

• Vince says:

Bullshit you brain washed turd. The truth, using your scenario, is as follows: the wealthy adults are robbing their neighbors by not paying their fair share. When the teen in the poor neighborhood is starving and her school funding is cut, over and over, and jobs to help move up disappear, the rich adults want to cut the last fucking benefits she has. Theses adults cut her future so they can continue to eat all the fat.

Stupid you are, Andy. Pity. The force is not strong with you.

Just to be clear, my bullshit statement above was to Andy.

I don’t think Andy believes what Andy says Andy believes. It’s like cutting benefits for soldiers returning from war with injuries because they’re supposed to come home heroes, not wounded veterans. Listen, all these phony flag waving patriots only wanted a tax cut when we sent those kids off to war. I’m tired of pretending we’re broke. Bill Clinton needs to shut the fuck up, for a change. Extending the Bush Tax Cuts is exactly WRONG. There, you see, Andy. I used big letters, which means my point is for sure THE ABSOLUTE CORRECT POINT, bitch.

Unfortunately I have actual work to do tomorrow I’m not going to swindle a jury and make 50k before lunch. The Lawya is phony of course. Walker saved the state. Greg veterans have every imaginable advantage, no one is cutting our benefits you’re spewing purely satanic propaganda. I’m covered %100 for life any hospital I walk into in the United States. Republicans aren’t starving teens or ‘poor gals’ as the shithead alleges just trying to create a government that spends what it takes in. NO MORE DEFICITS! Lets get even. Maybe we need to double the defense budget maybe we need to cut it in half but please no more out of control spending. Bye Bye.

• Steven says:

“Veterans have every advantage.”

Military Veterans are killing themselves at a rate of 1 every 80 minutes:

So I guess they are just “liberal babies” to collect life insurance for their lazy children.

At least when Bush was president people made believe they cared. Since Obama, its like they are just a bummer to think about.

Well the veterans from these wars have done 5 or more consecutive tours. That has never happened to any army in the history of mankind. People can’t even keep families together in rich neighborhoods imagine trying to keep shit together under those circumstances

Which war did you fight for, just curious?

Did you see during the Nato protests, the veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan try and give their medals back to their Nato Commanders? More liberal losers.

“Either we double the military budget or cut it.” What the F does that mean? You cant even get yourself to suggest we cut military welfare. Because that’s what it is, its bullshit, it a raquet. No enemy no money.

We have killed the number 2 Al Qeada guy now for the what seems like the 5th time. I would not be surprised if we get the number 1 before the election. We would be better off just giving them the money just not to start the wars. I would glady pay taxes to pay-off these people. We can just have fake wars on TV.

• Vince says:

Only $50,000 before lunch would be a bad day, Andy.

You’re pretending like we didn’t have a surplus before the first wave of Bush Tax Cuts. You’re pretending like we didn’t wage 2 Wars with Tax Cuts, to manufacture this so-called crisis.

Remember when they actually called it a “shortfall?” Those were the days…

Listen, it’s easy, raise taxes, on everyone. We were all there. We allowed George W. Bush to take the white house in 2000. We were all there. We’re all responsible. I’m not blaming anyone. I’m tired of that bullshit.

I’m saying it’s time to pony-up, that’s if you’re sincere in your “no more out of control spending” propaganda. But I don’t think you are. I think you’re using this fake-deficit to justify gutting the accomplishments of The New Deal, like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. All of these programs are paid for, if you get rid of The Bush Tax Cuts, which NEVER should have been shoved down our throats in the FIRST FUCKING PLACE.

By the way, you phony free-market freeloader, who cares how anyone else makes money? You sell toilet paper to assholes. Vince swindles juries. I peddle diabetes boxed-up as Rugelach. Money is money.

I don’t give a fuck if you’re Jay-Z selling dime bags of dope to dope fiends in the Marcy Projects. It’s all commerce to me, pal. Tax it, all of it: toilet paper, jury swindles, obesity snacks, dope, all of it. Money is money.

And stop pretending out of control spending is anything but the bet of a right wing think tank that’s shorting America.

Who cares about The Blame America First Crowd? They’re busy boo-hooing. Let’s track down The Shorting America Crowd. Let’s get in their bank accounts. Let’s get in the trust funds of their children. Let’s show them what it’s like to live in poverty.

You’re so busy being angry at the wrong people, you’re missing what’s going on, Andy. Wake Up!

Andy, here is an example of the kind of things I do:

Afghanistan twice Steven two 13 month tours. Not true in WW2 infantry soldiers were in the shit for 4 years, Pacific North Africa Italy and D-day. WW1 Hitler did 3-4 years in the trenches which probably fucked him up in the head to do what he did. The Red Army WW2 soldiers served from the invasion all the way to the assault on Berlin. Not to mention the Japanese who served nonstop until they were nuked into submission. Not to say that our troops weren’t over stretched and overworked they were. I support a limited draft about 300,000 soldiers and Marines with no deferments I don’t care who you are and the people drafted must serve in front line combat units (surprise surprise lefties) that’s justice. But the idea that the military is just the trash of Black White and Latino communities is a disgusting libel. I can’t tell you how many troops joined because they loved the country in peacetime and in war. The Lawya is apparently in the pest control business I can’t hear the youtube video I’m in a loud bar. His second link comes up invalid. More later when I can hear the video.

I fixed Vince’s link, so now it works. Also, here’s another link to an article about Steve Schmidt. Interesting to see how “going for the win,” at all costs, can lead to regret.

12. Ovi says:

If the rich could hire other people to die for them, the poor could make a wonderful living.

13. vince says:

We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.